In March, the Christian Healing Institute was invited by Greenwood Community Church, Denver to bring a healing ministry training team to Colorado to help teach and encourage their church’s healing ministry, and to prepare them for expanding their ministry.
Greenwood Community Church currently has about 40 prayer team members who primarily pray for people after church services or in healing services. They are wanting to grow and to expand to offering longer individual prayer appointments.
The prayer ministers traveling with CHI’s team were Mark and Grace Andringa of Christ Church, Vienna; Taylor and Kathi Smith of Jacksonville, FL (Kathi is on the CHI board and Taylor is a board member with Christian Healing Ministries) and Rev. Kathleen Christopher, founder and executive director of CHI and clergy at the Falls Church Anglican. Team members enjoyed getting to know Pastor Doug Brown, his wife and head prayer minister, Jasona Brown, and prayer ministers from Greenwood Community Church and two other area churches who sent participants. Topics covered included “Hearing God’s Voice”, “Praying for Physical Healing”, “Praying for Inner Healing” and “Obstacles to Healing.” Training sessions began on Friday evening and continued through Saturday, culminating in a public healing prayer service on Saturday night.
The feedback from Jasona and Pastor Doug Brown is that “people raved about the conference and some people have said their time that weekend was life-changing for them.” In an email from Jasona, she says “we are still soaking up the love, wisdom, and faith that you all shared with us!”
There were many testimonies of hearing from God, of healings, and of insights and experience gained throughout the weekend. Following are just a few of those testimonies.
- During the teaching on physical healing, an elderly member of Greenwood’s team had heard in her quiet time that she was going to be healed that day. In anticipation of this, her hand was the first one raised when we asked for a volunteer for the physical healing demonstration. As the CHI team gathered around her to pray, another gentleman ran to join the group up front, saying “I need to join this prayer time because everyone loves her so much.” As we asked the class participants to intercede while we prayed for the healing of her neck, the love in the room was palpable. She felt warmth on her neck immediately as we prayed. In speaking with her a few weeks after the training, she was delighted to tell me that she had a “surprise visit from God.” Below is part of what she emailed:
This incredible happy feeling consumed me. I became totally giddy and was babbling like a teenager. I said things like I felt like it was my wedding day and God had blessed me so much that day I felt like a prayer pig. I simply could not stop laughing or talking. I felt like I should stop because I didn’t want to be disruptive, but I simply could not stop. I am a pretty controlled person and this was out of character for me, but I knew it was the Lord. As soon as I got home I re-read my word from the Lord on Friday night. First that I was a delight to the Lord and also that he wanted to turn my sadness into joy and I knew that is exactly what had happened. He was not addressing my neck or my hands, but my heart that had been longing for assurance of being loved and feeling quite sad at times. What an experience with the living God. I am overwhelmed by His goodness. After the prayer over me, I began to notice no sadness at all. Instead I would actually be joyful. I had not doubted that God loved me, but I had not experienced the passionate depth of His love. – CD from Denver
What a joy it was to hear about CD’s heart! She was coming up on the anniversary of her husband’s death, and the Lord turned her sadness into joy.
- Two and half years ago, I had severe pain in my right hip traveling down the leg. It was so bad, I could not sleep for days on end. An MRI revealed I had two herniated discs, severe spinal stenosis, and a couple of tears in the tendon that wraps around my right hip. Through chiropractic treatments, the pain was eventually lowered to a “new normal” which I could handle. Last August, I was rear-ended in a traffic accident that reactivated the pain. A new MRI shows a pinched nerve among the other observations from the previous MRI. The group praying for me included a doctor and others who knew a lot about the body. Their prayers for me were very medically-inspired and specific. I felt a little heat but nothing dramatic. However, when they stopped praying for me and asked me how I felt, I had no pain!!! Since then the pain has been lowered from a 7 to a 3. I’m not sure if I’m completely healed, but I think I just might be. Wish I could get another MRI! Thank you again for inviting me to this training. It has immeasurably enriched my life!
The following are testimonies from the weekend training:
- I just wanted to send a big “THANK YOU” for everything you did to make this weekend happen! Your vision for the training, bringing in the team from CHI, the healing prayer service tonight—it was a life changing experience for me. And I should feel exhausted but I feel totally refreshed! I really appreciated the opportunity to learn from a bunch of you who are seasoned in healing prayer. I feel so much more comfortable knowing how to pray with people after our time this weekend. And I got to see the Lord work in my life and others’ lives in amazing ways! It was just really, really special.
- This weekend was definitely one that I will see as a “marker” on my life journey with Christ. It changed my whole perspective of God’s and my relationship, as well as my perspective on healing prayer. I want the leadership team to know that they were fabulous teachers, their presentation was done with great humility and glorification of God, and the content of the workshop was incredibly helpful and useful. I did not know what to expect from the weekend before it began, but what I received was invaluable and what I received was beyond what I could ever have imagined or hoped. My relationship with God was impacted in a big way (I still need to process it!), and I am excited to see how He will use what I learned about healing prayer.
- I am deeply indebted to you and the CHI Team for creating this weekend’s workshop and giving of your time and energy to further the Kingdom of God by sharing with us the gift of healing prayer. Thank you so much! God bless you all!
- Thank you so much for including me in the Healing Prayer workshop. I learned much and benefited even more. My first aha moment came when it was suggested to ask God what he loved about us. . . The word that kept flooding my mind was “endurance.” When we partnered up, my partners did not know my word, but the words they heard were “endured much. Perseverance. I see you. Hold on to Me. Streamers with many colors—with joy and with patience.” Wow!!!